EXECUTING AGENCY: University of Thessaly

TIME OF COMPLETION: 1988 - 1991

FINANCIAL SCOPE OF WORK: 722,827,520 GRD

The historic building which was the former tobacco warehouse of Papastratos, built in 1926 on the eastern edge of the port of Volos, is a benchmark for the city.
In 1985 it was purchased by the University of Thessaly, was renovated and now houses the offices of Senate, the Administration and the Services of the University of Thessaly.
For the renovation the following works carried out:

  • Static strengthen of bearing apacity of the walls from masonry, with special techniques of homogenization and concrete jacket with shotcrete (Gunite).
  • Static strengthen of internal structural elements - columns, beams, slabs with similar methods.
  • Addition in extension of new wing of stairways and new underground substation to serve all the coastal complex of the University.
  • Fully internal refurbishment and configuration of room spaces, administration offices, conference rooms, etc.
  • Coating of the facades with pulled plaster, cornices and framing.
  • Engine/electrikal - room for the operation of the entire complex.

* in joint venture